When I think about a spiritual resurgence, renewal, revitalization and or renaissance, I think of one-hundred and twenty people in an upper room. There were certainly more than two. (Matthew 18:19) They humbled themselves. They prayed. They sought God’s face. They turned from their wicked way. They wanted God to hear from Heaven. They wanted God to forgive their sins. They wanted God to heal their land. (2 Chronicles 7:14.) Like the Widow, who had no standing or rights, who kept pestering a Judge to help her find justice, they kept calling out to God. (Luke 18:1ff) They didn’t consider that “all they could do was just pray.” They considered this a power filled opportunity. Shortly thereafter, three thousand people came to Christ by the power of God’s Holy Spirit. I have seen God answer such prayers in marvelous ways.
Therefore, I have created a prayer that calls on God to give us the gift to find the things He blesses and then join Him. I call this prayer, the refriger-prayer. This version is designed for any church anywhere and anytime. All congregational members need to print it out, place it on their refrigerator (and perhaps keep a copy in their Bible.) Every time they go to the fridge, they are to pause, pray one, or more or all the requests in faith. They do this in agreement with all their brothers and sisters in their churches. Here is a sample. I hope you will make this a part of your seeking out a spiritual renaissance for your body of Christ-Followers. I hope you share this with all your brothers and sisters in your church community. Then watch out to see what God will do.
Becoming the Church God Wants Us to Be
“Always pray and NEVER give up!” Jesus in Luke 18:1
Dear Lord Jesus, Son of The Living God.
Have mercy on us and hear our prayers.
- Please give us grace to Love You with all our hearts, all our souls, all our minds, all our strength. And give us grace to love our neighbors as ourselves. (Matthew 26:36-40)
- Please give us the power to carry out Your vision to Lift up Jesus and love it, find freedom in Christ and share it, and dream Your dreams, O God, as we work with You to make them happen. (John 12:32, John 8:32 and Proverbs 29:18)
- Please empower us to make disciples. (Matthew 28:16-20)
- Please, we pray for harvesters to rise up among us. Here we are, Lord, send us. (Mark 9:37 and Isaiah 6:8)
- Please guide and empower us to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome strangers, visit the sick and the imprisoned. Matthew 25:31-46
- We ask that you please pour out Your Holy Spirit on us: For we want to grow in grace, bear your Holy Spirit’s fruit and gifts, and keep in step with Your Holy Spirit, as we walk in Your holy power. (Acts 1:8, Galatians 5:16-26 and Colossians 1:9-14)
- Please empower us to deny ourselves, take up the Cross of Jesus & follow You. (Matthew 16: 24-26 & Ephesians 6:10-20.)
- Have mercy: Protect our Pastor, his dear spouse and his entire family. Please keep them safe and make them healthy, as You empower them to live daily by your grace. And please equip our Pastor to equip we the people of God to do the work of the Ministry. (Ephesians 4:11-13)
- You have told us that You give us power to receive wealth so that we can establish Your Holy Covenant. (Deuteronomy 8:18;) therefore, make us a tithing Church to better serve You, and so we may receive the benefits of Your tithing promises. (Malachi 3:10-11.)
- We close this prayer asking You build us into the Church You want us to be. (Psalm 127:1)
We Pray This in Jesus Name … A M E N!